Tuesday, November 12, 2024

Yoko Ono's circle survey

From GRAPEFRUIT: A book of instructions + drawings by Yoko Ono (1970)


I think about this piece pretty often, I'm not really sure why. I like the way her mind works. I admire how her art is? willing to open herself to "knowing" everybody (who wants to know her) at least a little bit (as an aggregate, not necessarily close), and at least in theory. I think not everything has to be deep. But there is something I can't really describe but really like that this piece reminds me of, the experience of watching someone (anyone, a friend) draw and write and type and walk and think and drive and pick out eggs at the grocery store and take the last sip of water and look through their pockets for their keys -- when they are ok with you watching, when they want you around, without being strange and without wasting living time, closer to understanding. Life is not a spectator sport, according to Jackie Robinson. I imagine it's valuable information so I don't have to think about missing out on other things. But it's ok because there's so much else to see.


*Ono, Yoko. GRAPEFRUIT: A book of instructions + drawings by Yoko Ono. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2000.
practicing for my papers coming up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red-tailed hawk

Push your face into mine like a nesting bird  summer two baby raccoons on the side of the road asleep in the morning, split open by noon as ...